Definition of hagiographer in English:
1A writer of the lives of the saints.
- Thus, while both chroniclers and hagiographers tended to fall into the prevalent pattern of ignoring women as authoritative sources, nevertheless, they relied on women's evidence.
- To this end, hagiographers included in their narratives much that we can identify as ‘realistic.’
- His hagiographers tend to stress the innocence of it all.
1.1A biographer who treats their subject with undue reverence.
- Whiteley is no hagiographer - he can be coldly critical of his subject's blind spots and prejudices - and yet Banham's stature is enhanced rather than diminished by this study, which was no doubt the intention.
- Focusing on the role of the hagiographer as mediator between the saint and the saint's followers, he highlights the role of hagiographers in shaping these followers' communities.
- This book is a real effort to distinguish between the problems and perspectives of the hagiographer on the one hand and the historian on the other.
2 Theology A writer of any of the Hagiographa.
- Several essays address the self-reflexive nature of hagiographic traditions-the tendency of hagiographers to rewrite and adapt material and the interplay between adaptations from which clues of context may be discerned.
- He has chosen nine other contributors, mainly from the U.K., among them the excellent hagiographer.
- That is what the hagiographers were convinced they were doing, and so must their transmitters be.
Words that rhyme with hagiographerautobiographer, bibliographer, biographer, cartographer, choreographer, cinematographer, crystallographer, geographer, Hagiographa, iconographer, lexicographer, lithographer, oceanographer, palaeographer (US paleographer), photographer, pornographer, radiographer, stenographer, topographer, typographer
Definition of hagiographer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia