Definition of hair-splitting in English:
Characterized by or fond of small and overfine distinctions: the legal experts have a particularly hair-splitting mentality
More example sentences
- How can the Supreme Court possibly know what the most divisive policy is with respect to these hair-splitting distinctions.
- A good example of this is the often hair-splitting legal distinctions between valid and invalid transfers.
- Then they became immersed in hair-splitting debates about difficult ‘moral’ decisions but within a context where everything was justified if politically useful.
quibbling, fault-finding, niggling, cavilling, carping, captious, critical, criticizing, disapproving, censorious, judgemental, overcritical, hypercritical, pedantic, punctilious, pettifogging
North American informal persnickety
archaic nice, overnice
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The action of making small and overfine distinctions; quibbling.
- The aim of these fine distinctions, not to say hair-splitting, is to deny the Marxist thesis that the driving forces of the war were rooted in economic and geopolitical conflicts of the major capitalist powers.
- Avoid complicated issues of public policy; the people need to have their hearts lifted by statements of steely resolve, and there's little time for wonky hair-splitting.
- Even the most intelligent and well-intentioned judge can create a mess by indulging in hair-splitting that, at least on its own narrow terms, may seem reasonable.
- Example sentences
- Human consciousness is too important to be left to the hair-splitters.
- They are the most preposterous and unjustified of all the guesses which can be made about the universe, and I am not enough of a hair-splitter to pretend that I don't regard them as arrant and negligible moonshine.
- However, don't go endlessly back and forth between suppliers in an attempt to grind out a rock-bottom price, otherwise you'll be marked down as a time waster and a hair-splitter.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan