1A trigger of a firearm set for release at the slightest pressure.
- It had a hair trigger, and the gun went off, still pointing toward the ceiling.
- Their new idea was that the feedback mechanism had a hair trigger set off by ocean currents.
- Being drunk always made his emotions on a hair trigger and his control over them lax.
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting something that is quickly and easily activated or provoked: his hair-trigger temperament
More example sentences
- This is a post about the hair-trigger temper of a populace under the twin pressures of occupation and random horrible violence.
- He was an intense little man with a hair-trigger temper, but he was quite serious about the costumes he built and the way he performed in them.
- E-mail's stripped-down, free-form nature sets off workers' hair-trigger responses and lends itself to venting rude behavior, much as road rage overtakes people in the bubble of their cars.
Definition of hair trigger in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.