- The greater Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca, which takes place in the last month of the year and which all Muslims are expected to make at least once during their lifetime if they can afford to do so. It is one of the Five Pillars of Islam. Compare with umrah.More example sentences
- The hajj links pilgrims with Muslims around the world symbolically, ritually, and politically.
- All Muslims who are able are expected to make a hajj, or pilgrimage, once during their life, to one of the Muslim holy sites.
- Believers are expected, at least once in their lives, to make a hajj, or pilgrimage to Mecca during the month of Ramadan.
from Arabic (al-) ḥajj '(the Great) Pilgrimage'.
More definitions of hajjDefinition of hajj in:
- The US English dictionary