1A large-headed elongated fish with long jaws and strong teeth. It is a valuable commercial food fish.
- Family Merlucciidae and genus Merluccius: several species, including the European hake (M. merluccius).
- Cod, hake, whiting, mackerel and skate as well as shellfish were pulled from the sea.
- Ask your fishmonger what is best for grilling at this time of year - some suggestions are salmon, haddock, tuna, trout, hake, cod.
- Fish such as hake, cod, tuna, swordfish, sole and sea bass could be on-grown by a ship restocking Spanish waters according to those behind the project.
2Any of a number of fishes related to the true hakes.
- They resemble the true hakes in having two dorsal fins and one anal fin and no barbel.
- Like all export related industries, the hake industry has been negatively affected by the strong local currency reducing the amount of money earned.
- Contraventions of the act related to catching crayfish, hake and toothfish without a permit and offloading catches without inspectors present.
Middle English: perhaps from Old English haca 'hook'.
Words that rhyme with hakeache, awake, bake, betake, Blake, brake, break, cake, crake, drake, fake, flake, forsake, Jake, lake, make, mistake, opaque, partake, quake, rake, sake, shake, sheikh, slake, snake, splake, stake, steak, strake, take, undertake, wake, wideawake
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hake
Definition of hake in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.