Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of half-bred in English:
(Of an animal) having one pure-bred parent.
- But perhaps the greatest beneficiary of all has been the Irish half-bred mare whose future in the mid-1900s looked extremely bleak.
- Epistolaire will stand for $1,370 for Thoroughbred mares and $896 for half-bred mares at Haras de La Haie Neuve.
- In the late 1860s and 1870s half-bred sheep were produced with English and Border Leicester and Lincoln rams and Merino ewes.
nounBack to top
An animal having one pure-bred parent.
- They were as much a part of their Magyar felver - Hungarian half-breds - as centaurs.
- The breeding of half-breds is a lottery, in which the percentage of prizes is small.
- A comparison of 75 per cent, 62.5 per cent and half-bred lambs showed no difference between the first two, but the half-breds were 26 per cent lighter at both weaning and 11 months of age.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.