Definition of half-integer in English:
A number obtained by dividing an odd integer by two ( 1/2, 1 1/2, 2 1/2, etc.).
- Some for example, had half-integer spins, while others had only integral spins.
- Fermions are the particles that exhibit half-integer spin and satisfy the Pauli exclusion principle, while bosons exhibit integer spin and are not limited by the exclusion principle.
- Although fermions have half-integer spin, the two together have integer spin, making the Cooper pair a ‘composite boson’.
- Example sentences
- Those with half-integral spins were called fermions, while those with integral spins were classified as bosons.
- Bosons have integral spin and fermions have half-integral spin, where spin is an internal quantum number.
- Fermions have half-integral spins, and by the Pauli Exclusion Principle, no two identical particles can have exactly the same set of parameters, like energy, position, spin orientation etc., which describe a single quantum state.
Definition of half-integer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan