- 1A piece of land almost surrounded by water; a peninsula.More example sentences
- They fixed on island or half-island sites where they could be free from interference.
- He has chosen to ferry his men by sea, to the ragged half-island between the York and the James.
- The country consists of a large, mountainous island (half-island, actually), much longer than it is wide.
- 1.1A piece of land made up of half or part of an island.More example sentences
- Previously the half island had been a neglected backwater lacking industry, basic infrastructure or services.
- The half island with a population of just 800,000 people is one of the most impoverished countries in the world.
- They eventually were allowed into the half-island and moved in with their grandmother who lived there.