Definition of half-length in English:
1Of approximately half the normal length.
- Three-quarter or half-length sleeves enhance the summer appeal of skirts and pants in fashion prints.
- She changed into loose-fitting trousers, made from real cotton grown in one of the neighbouring villages, and a cotton top with half-length sleeves.
- After a half-length defeat in a Turfway Park allowance race, Sarava moved to McPeek's barn to prepare for a run at the classics.
1.1(Of a painting or sculpture) showing a person down to their waist.
- Most of his 60 or so known paintings, mainly half-length portraits, date from 1642-6 after he had moved with Charles I's Civil War court to Oxford.
- Caravaggio returns to the half-length format of his early genre scenes, but all naturalistic bravura and illusionistic detail are gone.
- The most visually startling images were two half-length portraits from her ‘Bodybuilders’ series.
nounBack to top
A painting or sculpture of a person down to their waist.
- These works are not compatible with the bulk of the corpus of Caravaggesque half-lengths that the English art historian Benedict Nicolson had associated first with an unnamed ‘Candlelight Master’ and then with Bigot.
- The presence, in the Gallery's reconstruction, of half-lengths of St Paul and, questionably, of St Andrew is hard to explain.
- Anne Villiers herself was painted by van Dyck in a solo half-length.
Definition of half-length in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan