Definition of half-life in English:
1The time taken for the radioactivity of a specified isotope to fall to half its original value: iodine-131 has a half-life of 8.1 days
More example sentences
- The small, lead-shielded canisters contain pellets or a fine powder of caesium 137, which emits powerful gamma radiation with a half-life of 30 years.
- Tritium is radioactive, with a half-life of 12.26 years.
- The FDA recommends keeping a fourteen-day supply on hand; radioactive iodine has a half-life of eight days.
1.1The time required for any specified property (e.g. the concentration of a substance in the body) to decrease by half.
- Frova may represent an important advancement in the treatment of migraine headache as no other currently marketed treatment has a half-life of more than six hours.
- Prealbumin, also known as transthyretin, has a half-life of only 1 to 2 days.
- At age 18, caffeine has a half-life of 4.5 hours, which increases with age.
Definition of half-life in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan