1A method of moulding, carving, or stamping in relief a design in which figures project to half their true proportions: the tower is modern, with a top of green copper and geometric columns in half-relief
More example sentences
- The raised relief, half relief and bas-relief are all similar.
- On a raised bench ornamented with the rail pattern is a small relic-shrine, in half relief 4' 2'' high.
- The other two are half relief and high relief, with carving in detail.
1.1 [count noun] A sculpture or carving in half relief.
- Until today there is no satisfying interpretation of the Celtic half reliefs in the gable over the portal of the Belsener chapel, but there may have been a certain ritual importance around Belsen in former times.
- The upper floor (state gallery) possesses a late-gothical, colored seized carving covered with half reliefs, which are attributed to Lederer.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.