1A method of moulding, carving, or stamping in relief a design in which figures project to half their true proportions: the tower is modern, with a top of green copper and geometric columns in half-relief
More example sentences
- The raised relief, half relief and bas-relief are all similar.
- On a raised bench ornamented with the rail pattern is a small relic-shrine, in half relief 4' 2'' high.
- The other two are half relief and high relief, with carving in detail.
1.1 [count noun] A sculpture or carving in half relief.
- Until today there is no satisfying interpretation of the Celtic half reliefs in the gable over the portal of the Belsener chapel, but there may have been a certain ritual importance around Belsen in former times.
- The upper floor (state gallery) possesses a late-gothical, colored seized carving covered with half reliefs, which are attributed to Lederer.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: half re¦lief
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.