- A former British gold coin worth ten shillings (50p).More example sentences
- As the patrolmen came up, he handed a half-sovereign to Inkerman.
- All coins bore the head of Queen Victoria - a gold sovereign, half-sovereign, half-crown, shilling, sixpence and a threepenny piece.
- What he will particularly be on the lookout for is good condition ‘higher denomination’ coins, such as half crown, crown, half-sovereign and sovereign, from the Victorian period and earlier.
More definitions of half sovereignDefinition of half sovereign in:
- The US English dictionary