nounMusic , North American
- A semitone: the music rises a half step and goes on doing what it did beforeMore example sentences
- For example, the sight-singing student who depends upon intervallic content alone in rendering pitches will view the passage C-D-E-F as two whole steps followed by a half step.
- Remind the student that in major keys, the half steps will occur between degrees three and four and degrees seven and eight.
- Take the opportunity to point out that a perfect fifth - when counting either direction in the alphabet - contains seven half steps, avoiding confusion between B and F-sharp, or B-flat and F.
More definitions of half stepDefinition of half step in:
- The US English dictionary