Definition of half-timbered in English:
Having walls with a timber frame and a brick or plaster filling.
- But Space House is not remotely like any of its brick or half-timbered neighbours.
- I had tried to think of it as little as possible, but now that I searched for words all that came to me were pictures, images of tree-lined walkways, half-timbered houses, narrow streets and secret stairways.
- Treven Hall had been an Elizabethan, half-timbered manor house.
- Example sentences
- Progressive houses combined the now-familiar techniques of specialized domestic planning with motifs from English vernacular buildings such as half-timbering, tile-hanging, inglenooks, and romantically tall chimneys.
- Most Tudor homes have stucco or masonry exteriors accented by ornamental half-timbering, massive chimneys and steep gable roofs.
- The traditional habitat of the Alsatian lowland is constituted of houses constructed with walls in half-timbering and cob and roofing in flat tiles.
Definition of half-timbered in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan