Definition of half-uncial in English:
Denoting a style of medieval letter showing features of both uncial and cursive script.
- Ancient Celtic half-uncial script is beautiful, but generally inappropriate for contemporary use.
- Most tickets produced with half-uncial typefaces were printed in Britain by Williamsons.
- The manuscript is written in Humanistic script, and as such imitates the half-uncial and Caroline minuscule scripts.
nounBack to top
A half-uncial letter.
- Historically uncials and half-uncials mark the transition to the development of a separate minuscule alphabet.
- The elongated Celtic characters, called ‘insular half-uncials,’ are done with a quill.
- Uncials were used from the 4th to 9th century as script; they continued to be used later as capitals with lowercase half-uncials and with gothic lettering.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia