- Denoting a style of medieval letter showing features of both uncial and cursive script.More example sentences
- Ancient Celtic half-uncial script is beautiful, but generally inappropriate for contemporary use.
- Most tickets produced with half-uncial typefaces were printed in Britain by Williamsons.
- The manuscript is written in Humanistic script, and as such imitates the half-uncial and Caroline minuscule scripts.
nounBack to top
- A half-uncial letter.More example sentences
- Historically uncials and half-uncials mark the transition to the development of a separate minuscule alphabet.
- The elongated Celtic characters, called ‘insular half-uncials,’ are done with a quill.
- Uncials were used from the 4th to 9th century as script; they continued to be used later as capitals with lowercase half-uncials and with gothic lettering.