noun (plural for separate coins halfpennies, for a sum of money halfpence /ˈheɪp(ə)ns/)
- A former British coin equal to half an old or new penny. The last halfpenny was withdrawn in 1984: seven pennies and three halfpenniesMore example sentences
- The money is a mess of pounds, quids, bobs, shillings, pence, ha'pence, etc that is almost as interesting as a picture puzzle - and about as hard to unravel.
- A 24-year-old hawker, formerly living in lodgings in Byron Street, Bradford and now of Salford, was found not guilty of silvering 24 pennies and nine halfpennies with intent to make them resemble florins and shillings.
- They also included a selection of threepenny bits, a 1916 halfpenny and a penny piece from 1921.
More definitions of halfpennyDefinition of halfpenny in:
- The US English dictionary