Definition of halter in English:
1A strap or rope placed around the head of a horse or other animal, used for leading or tethering it.
- Much of the program is taught to the human and the horse using a rope halter and rope hackamore.
- It also includes used animal trappings such as harnesses, saddles, halters, reins, rope and chain.
- The soldiers ride bays or chestnuts and use United States Army regulation saddles, saddlecloths, halters, bridles, and curb bits.
harness, head collar, bridle;
North American headstall
1.1 archaic A rope with a noose for hanging a person.
- For which other worse tricks he had not (Archer would not have) escaped the halter (noose), but that (had not) Captain Newport interposed his advice to the contrary that is that the council should not hang Mr. Archer.
- And there, made ready for death, with the halter round her neck, she stood upon the fatal ladder in calm serenity, expecting to die.
2 [usually as modifier] A strap around the neck that holds a dress or top in place, leaving the shoulders and back bare: tourists in halter tops and shorts
More example sentences
- His current winter collection features slouch pants, lustrous shirt dresses, halter tops and knee-length dirndl skirts in a predominantly black, white and camel palette.
- Gowns with halter tops, pouf satin or silk skirts or ripped hems are right in keeping with the rock princess look.
- The girls looked like they were freezing in their halter tops and reckless skirts but were probably blindly sensibly insulated from it all by means of a dozen Bacardi Breezers.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Put a halter on (an animal): the horse stops running and agrees to being haltered
More example sentences
- In silence and in darkness they loaded the carriage and haltered the horses.
- She haltered the strangely docile stallion and tied him up in the tie racks, next to an extremely irritable paint gelding being groomed.
- Rebecca cast Ansley a hurt look, but Ansley was haltering Matrix and didn't catch it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan