Definition of halting in English:
Slow and hesitant, especially through lack of confidence; faltering: she speaks halting English with a heavy accent
More example sentences
- Her shaking hands cover her mouth and she walks backwards in slow, halting steps.
- And so the group made their slow and halting way back to Kathor.
- Both as a product and a cause of the indecisive nature of combat, the operational tempo of war-as-process generally moved at a slow and halting pace.
- Example sentences
- I strained my ears to listen and we searched them out - there were 4 or 5 Japanese tourists and a small, slight woman who was speaking haltingly in English.
- In all the years I have been passing through that way, past that same office, I have never seen the waiting room filled with people - and so haltingly silent.
- A pattern can now be discerned whereby we are lurching haltingly in the right direction but personally, I would prefer our arrival at a better alternative much earlier than later.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan