(also hamadryas baboon)
- A large Arabian and NE African baboon, the male of which has a silvery-grey cape of hair and a naked red face and rump. It was held sacred in ancient Egypt.
More example sentences
- Papio hamadryas, family Cercopithecidae
- Our data set was comprised of eight species: a Platyrrhini, the white-fronted capuchin monkey, two cercopithecoids: the Barbary macaque and the hamadryas baboon, four hominoids and an outgroup sequence.
- The ancient Egyptians considered hamadryas baboons to be the sacred attendants of Thoth, the scribe to the gods.
1930s: modern Latin (see hamadryad).
More definitions of hamadryasDefinition of hamadryas in:
- The US English dictionary