1A flat round cake of minced beef, fried or grilled and typically served in a bread roll garnished with various condiments.
- Steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs and pork chops are usually grilled.
- What this basically means is that they serve hamburgers, tuna sandwiches, chicken wings and hot dogs in addition to the jerks, rotis and curries.
- They butchered a steer and served hamburgers and steaks to the family.
1.1 [mass noun] North American Minced beef.
- I could turn a big lump of cheap meat into short ribs, prime ribs, rib eyes, deckle steaks, and high-quality hamburger.
- This time we just had the whole animal made into hamburger.
- I know to use ground chuck instead of hamburger or even ground loin.
Late 19th century (originally US): from German, from Hamburg1.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ham|bur¦ger
Definition of hamburger in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.