(also hammerkop /ˈhaməkɒp/)
- A brown African marshbird related to the storks, which has a crest that looks like a backward projection of the head, and constructs an enormous nest.
More example sentences
- Scopus umbretta, the only member of the family Scopidae
- Villagers have been known to abandon a hut because a hamerkop flew over it and shortly died afterwards.
- Their bad rap may protect hamerkops from human hunters, who out of fear have given the birds a wide berth.
- According to superstitions, hammerkops are bad omens, and it is considered bad luck to harm them.
mid 19th century: Afrikaans, from hamer 'hammer' + kop 'head'.
More definitions of hamerkopDefinition of hamerkop in:
- The US English dictionary