Definition of handball in English:
1ˈhan(d)bɔːl A game similar to fives, in which the ball is hit with the hand in a walled court.
- The club invites the public to come along and see the refurbished main hall and the racquetball, handball and squash courts.
- Those who wish to book the main hall, handball/racketball court and Games room can do so now.
- We played handball against the wall that had NO BALL PLAYING spray painted across its surface.
1.1A team game similar to soccer in which the ball is thrown or hit with the hands rather than kicked.
- No data are available on the return rate after an ACL injury among elite athletes in a pivoting sport such as team handball.
- Nah, I always cry when Slovenia beats Denmark in team handball.
- The highest incidence is seen in adolescents playing pivoting sports such as football, basketball, and team handball.
1.2The ball used in handball.
- What he saw was that of a girl leaping high in the air reaching for a handball.
- A blocked handball right on the edge of the box by an East Belfast player was followed by a blatant trip as Ian Smith threatened to burst past the penalty spot.
- And Toby McGrath slips a handball to Matthew Clucas in the Fremantle derby.
2han(d)ˈbɔːl Soccer Touching of the ball with the hand or arm, constituting a foul: a penalty for handball [count noun]: a blatant handball
More example sentences
- Manchester City's goal keeper Carlo Nash will miss the game against Chelsea next month after being sent off for deliberate handball in the reserve-team game with Everton.
- Andy Scott was penalised for handball and Mike Kewley's kick was hard and low - but Speare pushed the ball onto the post and the defence did the rest.
- Ks still tried to get an equaliser and there was a big shout for handball against Mangdoza from Lee's free kick.
Words that rhyme with handballcarryall • blackball
Definition of handball in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan