Definition of handset in English:
1A mobile phone: many stolen handsets are believed to end up in Eastern Europe
More example sentences
- Get another mobile connection for home, after all, handsets come so cheap these days
- Manufacturers of phones should inscribe a warning on the handsets to make the users aware of hazards mobile phones can cause.
- By the end of this year or early 2003, expect to see handsets with Java capabilities.
1.1The part of a telephone that is held up to speak into and listen to.
- He's devised a way to hook up vintage telephone handsets to a standard cell phone.
- It's almost as impressive as these mobile phone handsets modeled on old Bakelite telephones from the 1950s.
- These are transmitters that use radio waves to communicate with mobile phone handsets.
1.2A handheld controller for a piece of electronic equipment, such as a television or video recorder.
- This locking device can be released by car park porters who will be carrying two handsets called cart controllers.
- If Microsoft controls the handset, it tightens its grip on all the other pieces.
- In other words, the handset makers and network equipment vendors are in for years of tough negotiations.
Definition of handset in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia