1An unpowered flying apparatus for a single person, consisting of a frame with a fabric aerofoil stretched over it. The operator is suspended from a harness below and controls flight by body movement.
- Imagine a hang-glider suspended over a trike and you're on the right track.
- The pair fell off the edge of the Aiguille du Midi, near Chamonix, Switzerland, as they tried to take off in a double-harnessed parapente, a large parachute like a hang-glider.
- After spending countless hours flying hang-gliders, he developed a hunger to create a flying machine that could take off like a plane with wheels or with floats on water in just 25 meters.
1.1A person flying a hang-glider.
- Sitting on top of Mam Tor after a dusty, sweaty drive through the dales, watching hang-gliders and paragliders swirl beneath us, feeling fresh wind on the back of our necks
- With the increased use of the Town Park playing fields and the loss of the Valley Floor west of town for political reasons, the festival no longer had a suitable landing zone for hang-gliders.
- I am busy now trying to get my Sport Pilot Examiner appointment, which could benefit tug pilots and hang-gliders as well.
- Example sentences
- How many children, in how many classrooms, over how many centuries, have hang-glided through the past, transported on the wings of these words?
- A 26-year-old Austrian hang-glided into St. Peter's Square on Friday and tried to put up an anti-war banner before police carried him away, police said.
- She learned to hang-glide, to pole-vault, to jump with ease on skateboard and ski.
- Example sentences
- It comes as no surprise that during communism, sports like skydiving and hang-gliding were state-sponsored activities and people were actually paid to fly.
- Getting high-adrenalin kicks in Cumbria could get even tougher if new rules curtailing paragliding and hang-gliding are left on the statute books.
- The microlite flying and power hang-gliding were quite impressive.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hang-glider
Definition of hang-glider in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.