Definition of hangover in English:
1A severe headache or other after-effects caused by drinking an excess of alcohol.
- These side-effects are far more severe than a hangover and can act as a strong deterrent to drinking.
- But, as with so many high-flyers of the 80s, the headaches and the hangovers were on their way.
- Never have collective headaches and hangovers been better earned.
2A custom, habit, feeling, etc. that survives from the past: this feeling of insecurity was in part a hangover from her schooldays
More example sentences
- One feature that he sees as a hangover from the past is how people react when they have made mistakes.
- I guess it's a hangover from my childhood in Japan: I find koi extremely calming.
- This could be a hangover from communism, while there could be other influences.
Words that rhyme with hangoverHanover • turnover
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.