Definition of hangover in English:
1A severe headache or other after-effects caused by drinking an excess of alcohol.
- These side-effects are far more severe than a hangover and can act as a strong deterrent to drinking.
- But, as with so many high-flyers of the 80s, the headaches and the hangovers were on their way.
- Never have collective headaches and hangovers been better earned.
2A custom, habit, feeling, etc. that survives from the past: this feeling of insecurity was in part a hangover from her schooldays
More example sentences
- One feature that he sees as a hangover from the past is how people react when they have made mistakes.
- I guess it's a hangover from my childhood in Japan: I find koi extremely calming.
- This could be a hangover from communism, while there could be other influences.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan