Definition of hanker in English:
verb[no object] (hanker after/for/to do something)
Feel a strong desire for or to do something: he hankered after a lost golden age she hankered to go back
More example sentences
- Prerequisites are a willingness to experiment, a desire to play, and a hankering to shake up preconceived notions about your art and photography.
- I still hanker to return home with my family one day but my view of NZ when I was growing up in the 1970's is dead and buried.
- I still cannot figure out why the machine dials the Internet every 15 minutes; I've checked every program that hankers to be online, and they all insist they're guiltless.
yearn, long, have a longing, have a hankering, crave, desire, wish, want, hunger, thirst, lust, ache, be aching, itch, be itching, burn, be burning, pant, want badly, be eager, be desperate, be hungry, be greedy, be thirsty, be consumed with a/the desire, be eating one's heart out;
fancy, pine for, have one's heart set on
informal be dying, have a yen
archaic be desirous, be athirst
longing, yearning, craving, desire, wish, need, hunger, thirst, urge, ache, itch, lust, burning, pining, appetite, passion, fancy
- 1hankerer noun
- Example sentences
- Transcribing and translating all this for English-language HK hankerers is Saskatoon, Saskatchewan's own Sanney Leung.
- I want no philosopher queen or king, no prophet exuding revealed truth, no mesmerising Pied Piper, no hawker of appealing mirages, no self-absorbed hankerer for power.
- The main drag for the fashion hankerer is Strand Arcade in the heart of town.
Words that rhyme with hankeranchor, banker, Bianca, canker, Casablanca, Costa Blanca, flanker, franker, lingua franca, Lubyanka, rancour (US rancor), ranker, Salamanca, spanker, Sri Lanka, tanka, tanker, up-anchor
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.