Definition of haplochromine in English:
Relating to or denoting cichlid fishes of a large and diverse group that are particularly abundant in the large lakes of East Africa.
- To test this prediction, we conducted an interspecific female mate choice experiment on four closely related haplochromine cichlid species from Lake Malawi.
- Our survey of mtDNA control region sequences in lacustrine and fluviatile haplochromine cichlids of the Lake Victoria basin revealed the existence of seven major haplogroups, designated I through VII.
- Frans Witte and Kees Barel document the mass extinction of haplochromine cichlids in Lake Victoria, Africa.
nounBack to top
A haplochromine fish.
- Fish in the genus Rastrineobola are very common in the diet in terms of occurrence, and are second to haplochromines.
- The adults of both species have an average standard body length of 55 mm and hence belong to the category of small haplochromines.
- The DNA sequences available for Lake Victoria haplochromines include 56 specimens of 24 described plus 9 undescribed species.
From the modern Latin genus name.
Definition of haplochromine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan