Definition of haploid in English:
1(Of a cell or nucleus) having a single set of unpaired chromosomes. Compare with diploid.
- The number of linkage groups resolved agrees well with the cytologically determined haploid chromosome number of 21.
- The computer keeps track of each mutation's position and deleterious effect on a single haploid chromosome for each individual.
- Two of them are seen in a single haploid nucleus.
1.1(Of an organism or part) composed of haploid cells: in mosses, the conspicuous leafy structures are haploid
More example sentences
- Two of the haploid plants generated from Fuyu 3xWMR 29 crosses were susceptible to races 1, 6, and 7.
- They differ from the ‘green algae’ in that the young sporophyte - or diploid plant - begins its development within the tissues of its parent gametophyte - or haploid plant.
- Most of the remaining plants regenerated are sterile haploid plants while a few partially sterile plants could be polyploid or aneuploid.
nounBack to top
A haploid organism or cell.
- Meiosis is the program used by sexually reproducing organisms to produce haploids from diploid precursors.
- The next two sections illustrate how to do this by carrying out the calculations for autosomal genes in dioecious haploids and for autosomal, sex-linked, and cytoplasmic genes in diploids.
- The number of recombinants and total cells for haploids was corrected to reflect the entire culture.
- Example sentences
- Although triploidy and haploidy of chromosomal regions in humans often cause viable or semiviable developmental defects, it is difficult to identify regions of the genome that are haplolethal.
- Whether or not any particular deletion can be recovered will, of course, depend upon the phenotypic consequences of haploidy for its chromosome region.
- The problem was obvious: if the sex of an animal was the result of a balance of male- and female-determining genes on the sex chromosomes and autosomes, how could haploidy give rise to males?
Definition of haploid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan