noun[mass noun] chiefly North American
- Coincidence: it was just happenstance that I happened to be there [count noun]: an untoward happenstance for TrudyMore example sentences
- Some events do occur by chance or happenstance, but the baseline of governmental policy and media spin is far from accidental.
- It may be that just by accident or happenstance this has come to be.
- The evolutionary process is rife with happenstance, contingency, incredible waste, death, pain and horror.
More definitions of happenstanceDefinition of happenstance in:
- The US English dictionary