(also happi coat)
noun (plural happis)
- A loose informal Japanese coat.More example sentences
- His black happi is wrapped around his bulky frame like a dressing gown.
- U.S. Ambassador Thomas Foley leaped up onto a stage, wearing a light blue happi coat, and read out to Saeki-san, in front of the throng, a letter of congratulations from the White House.
- In the welcoming ceremony, Japanese boys wore happi coats, Japan's traditional workman's short coat, and beat ‘wadaiko’ drums while girls clad in kimono performed dances and played 13-stringed horizontal ‘koto’ harps.
late 19th century: Japanese.
More definitions of happiDefinition of happi in:
- The US English dictionary