noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A protein present in blood serum which binds to and removes free haemoglobin from the bloodstream.More example sentences
- The research team, led by Dr. Andrew Levy of the Faculty of Medicine, had earlier demonstrated that diabetics with a particular form of a blood protein called haptoglobin had as much as a 500% increased risk of developing heart disease.
- Macrophages, scavenger-like cells that roam the body, have a surface receptor called CD 163 which binds the protein haptoglobin.
- Deer in fact may be a little unusual in this respect in that they have unusually, low levels of another protein haptoglobin, which is involved in the clearance of haemoglobin.
1940s: from Greek haptein 'fasten' + (haemo)globin.
More definitions of haptoglobinDefinition of haptoglobin in:
- The US English dictionary