Incapable of being moved to pity or tenderness; unfeeling: only the most hard-hearted man would not have offered comfort
More example sentences
- People around thought he was cruel, unfeeling, hard-hearted.
- Next a particular type of hard-hearted indifference is growing in this concrete jungle - people who have been living next door for years are found to be complete strangers.
- Peter Costello has a lot of work to do to overcome the perception that he's a cold, distant, hard-hearted, city-centric economist.
unfeeling, heartless, cold, hard, unsympathetic, uncaring, unloving, unconcerned, indifferent, intolerant, unmoved, unkind, uncharitable, unemotional, stony, cold-hearted, cold-blooded, lacking compassion, mean-spirited, without sentiment, stony-hearted, with a heart of stone, hard as nails;
- Example sentences
- He reacts decisively and, at times, hard-heartedly to the necessities of the setting and the situation.
- The latter are obviously on the fringes of the law, but it is very difficult to turn them away hard-heartedly when they land up at your doorstep with a cheerful namaste.
- We speak of inhuman cruelty when atrocities are so hard-heartedly cruel that we cannot conceive of ourselves as inflicting them.
- Example sentences
- The hypocrisy and plain hard-heartedness of this administration beggars belief.
- The hard-heartedness is a bit of a shock but what's really got me gobsmacked is intensity of people's views.
- In his encyclical letter in 1891, Pope Leo XIII pulled no punches: ‘It has come to pass that working [people] have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hard-heartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition.’
Words that rhyme with hard-hearteddownhearted, good-hearted, heavy-hearted, kind-hearted, light-hearted, lion-hearted, overparted, tender-hearted, uncharted, warm-hearted, wholehearted
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.