- An account of one’s problems intended to gain someone else’s sympathy or help: he’s a sucker for a hard-luck storyMore example sentences
- Even Ronald Reagan, whose public policies were every bit as mean spirited as those of Bush, was, according to Tip O'Neill in his book Man of the House, capable of responding compassionately when faced with an individual hard-luck story.
- Kobe's guilt or innocence notwithstanding, the legal battle he finds himself in will be just another chapter of the hard-luck story that is Kobe Bryant's life.
- Certain episodes are undeniably shocking, but beautifully poetic prose quickly proves this girl's plight is far more than a hard-hitting hard-luck story.
More definitions of hard-luck storyDefinition of hard-luck story in:
- The US English dictionary