(also haricot bean)
Definition of haricot in English:
1A French bean of a variety with small white seeds.
- I like to use asparagus and haricots verts, but you have to blanch them first.
- The ‘roast’ halibut looked a bit anaemic and was served on what is becoming a ubiquitous bland base for fish: leeks, haricots verts and asparagus.
- To make the haricot vert salad: In a bowl, combine the haricots verts, shallot, and walnut oil.
1.1The dried seed of haricot bean plants used as a vegetable.
- Mushrooms, carrots, spinach, turnips, cabbage, peas, haricots, lima beans, and different herbs were the most common vegetables.
- The salads featured haricot and broad beans as well as couscous, brown rice and a green salad.
- By using cooked or canned beans (red kidney, haricot, whatever) and chicken breast, it all cooks very quickly into a lovely winter dish that makes eating your greens a pleasure.
Mid 17th century: French, perhaps from Aztec ayacotli.
Definition of haricot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.