Definition of harissa in English:
1A hot sauce or paste used in North African cuisine, made from chilli peppers, paprika, and olive oil.
- In the past two weeks I have barbecued skinny lamb chops marinated in spicy harissa, Greek sausages, calamari and some beautiful little sardines.
- A little ready-made harissa (hot chilli paste) will turn up the heat, Lamour-style.
- Whether it's kimchi in Korea, harissa in Tunisia, or achar in India, spicy condiments remain constant in the daily meals of very different countries.
2A North African and Middle Eastern dish consisting of ground meat and couscous or bulgar wheat, served or prepared with a chilli sauce and other spices.
- Harissa, a traditional meal, consists of wheat grain and lamb cooked over low heat.
- Harissa is the name used in some Arab countries, notably Syria, the Lebanon, and Iraq, for a porridge-like soup of wheat and lamb which is described under haleem, which is the name used in the countries where the dish probably originated.
Definition of harissa in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan