- 1A hot sauce or paste used in North African cuisine, made from chilli peppers, paprika, and olive oil.More example sentences
- In the past two weeks I have barbecued skinny lamb chops marinated in spicy harissa, Greek sausages, calamari and some beautiful little sardines.
- A little ready-made harissa (hot chilli paste) will turn up the heat, Lamour-style.
- Whether it's kimchi in Korea, harissa in Tunisia, or achar in India, spicy condiments remain constant in the daily meals of very different countries.
- 2A North African and Middle Eastern dish consisting of ground meat and couscous or bulgar wheat, served or prepared with a chilli sauce and other spices.More example sentences
- Harissa, a traditional meal, consists of wheat grain and lamb cooked over low heat.
- Harissa is the name used in some Arab countries, notably Syria, the Lebanon, and Iraq, for a porridge-like soup of wheat and lamb which is described under haleem, which is the name used in the countries where the dish probably originated.
More definitions of harissaDefinition of harissa in:
- The US English dictionary