1A small North Eurasian mouse with a prehensile tail, nesting among the stalks of growing cereals and other vegetation.
- Micromys minutus, family Muridae
- As its name implies the harvest mouse lives along the stems of cereal plants.
- A great deal of care has gone into choosing a new habitat to help the re-introduction of the harvest mouse which used to live in great numbers in Cheshire.
- Foxes, rabbits, harvest mice, house mice, dormice, shrews, weasels, and voles all depend on the hedgerows as a place to breed, hunt or shelter.
2A nocturnal mouse found in North and Central America.
- Genus Reithrodontomys, family Muridae: several species
- The salt marsh harvest mouse is a small nocturnal rodent that makes its home and all of its meals out of pickleweed, a native plant growing in the salt marshes.
- As a result, several species unique to these wetlands are now listed as threatened or endangered, including the salt marsh harvest mouse and the California clapper rail (Rallus longirostris obsoletus).
- Decadent pickleweed stands and invasive nonnative grasses, effects of the lack of tidal action, supplied poor quality habitat for the salt marsh harvest mouse on the Entry Triangle Marsh.
Definition of harvest mouse in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.