Entry from US English dictionary
1A service stripe worn on the left sleeve of an enlisted person’s uniform to indicate three years of service in the army or four years in the navy.
- One of the Honor Guards had 10 'hash marks' on his sleeve.
- Note the belted jacket with shoulder insignia and longevity ‘hash marks’ on the sleeves.
1.1A service stripe on any uniform.
- This man had more stripes and hash marks up and down his sleeves than you can ever imagine.
- Military-like hash marks indicating years of service will be worn on the new long-sleeve shirts in New York City; on short sleeves, a bar over the breast pocket serves the same purpose.
2 American Football One of a series of marks made along parallel lines that delineate the middle of the field, used to spot the ball after a play ends outside these lines.
- Against Baltimore, for instance, Wesley intercepted a pass near the sideline after breaking for the ball from the far hash mark.
- Against Denver's cover - 2, the game plan is to let the receivers catch the ball between the hash marks and let the hard-hitting safeties blow them up.
- The majority of his throws have been outside the hash marks.
3The symbol #.
- I was just wondering if there's any possibility to have hylafax send the tone equivalent to pressing the hash mark on a regular phone?
- If you absolutely can't produce a pound sign, it has become conventional in computing circles to use the hash mark instead (hence its other name).
- Shown is a representative egg-laying pattern, with egg-laying events indicated by hash marks.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: hash mark
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.