Definition of haste in English:
Excessive speed or urgency of movement or action; hurry: working with feverish haste I write in haste
More example sentences
- Just over 2 years ago, local government legislation was passed under urgency and in haste.
- Passion defines your relationships: you either fall for someone at first sight or marry in haste.
- The writing on the wall was clear - never act in haste to repent at leisure.
speed, hastiness, hurry, hurriedness, swiftness, rapidity, rapidness, quickness, promptness, briskness, immediateness;
verbBack to top
archaic term for hasten.
- [From Vivaculus:]… I hasted to London, and entreated one of my academical acquaintances to introduce me into some of the little societies of literature which are formed in taverns and coffee - houses.
- For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost.
- And it came to pass, when the Philistine arose, and came and drew nigh to meet David, that David hasted, and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine.
- Hurry; hasten: I make haste to seal thisMore example sentences
- As for rushing things, it is wise to make haste slowly, but make haste toward this goal nevertheless.
- Hurry, Vicky, we shall make haste lest the guards be alerted of our taking leave.
- My last train home was at 00: 20 so I decided I'd better make haste.
more haste, less speed
- proverb You make better progress with a task if you don’t try to do it too quickly.Example sentences
- Doubtlessly the Government felt pressured on this front, and we were part of the push to implement the agency in question, but an attitude of ‘more haste, less speed’ may be counter-productive in this respect.
- More haste, less speed! The feverish hand often gives itself additional toil.
- My mum used to tell me 'More Haste, Less Speed', mostly when I had made a mess of something by rushing.
Words that rhyme with hastebarefaced, baste, boldfaced, chaste, lambaste, paste, po-faced, red-faced, self-faced, shamefaced, smooth-faced, strait-laced, taste, unplaced, untraced, waist, waste
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.