- Three successes of the same kind within a limited period, in particular (in soccer) the scoring of three goals in a game by one player or (in cricket) the taking of three wickets by the same bowler with successive balls: he scored a hat-trick Campbell completed a brilliant hat-trick a hat-trick of victoriesMore example sentences
- He scored hat-tricks in consecutive league games recently.
- His two goals were excellently taken and he was most unlucky not to score a hat-trick.
- Sam Hallas scored twice more to complete his hat-trick and take the man of the match award.
late 19th century: originally referring to the club presentation of a new hat (or some equivalent) to a bowler taking three wickets successively.
More definitions of hat-trickDefinition of hat-trick in:
- The US English dictionary