noun (plural same or hatchetfishes)
A deep-bodied laterally compressed tropical freshwater fish of the New World. It is able to fly short distances above the surface of the water by beating its broad pectoral fins.
- Family Gasteropelecidae: three genera, in particular Gasteropelecus, and several species
More example sentences
- Midwater species, such as lanternfishes, hatchetfishes and dragonfishes have rows of lights along the underside of the body, probably for mating and identification as well as foraging.
- A night dive here revealed night shrimp, hatchetfish, cardinalfish and a Spanish lobster.
- Resident giant grouper, turtles and schools of hatchetfish reside below the jetty.
Definition of hatchetfish in:
- The US English dictionary