Definition of haunch in English:
1A buttock and thigh considered together, in a human or animal.
- They were built like cattle, with thick necks and big haunches.
- They are easily ten times stronger than a human of similar height: no steroids could make a man accumulate such muscle mass on shoulders, back and haunches.
- In the commentary to her plate, d' Arconville described the chest of the female as narrower, the spine more curved, and the haunches and pelvis larger in women than in men.
Scottish informal bahookie
North American informal butt, fanny, tush, tushie, tail, duff, buns, booty, caboose, heinie, patootie, keister, tuchis, bazoo, bippy
West Indian informal batty
North American vulgar slang ass
1.1 [mass noun] The leg and loin of an animal, especially a deer, as food: haunch of venison
More example sentences
- A dish guaranteed to tickle M. Chirac's tastebuds, he said, would be Pancetta-wrapped haunch of Fort William venison with wild mushrooms en croute in a tarragon sauce.
- Beyond this, Aertsen skillfully foreshortened objects never before honored with such attention: sausages, fish, a skinned ox head, a recumbent haunch.
- When he thought I had suffered enough, he reached into his trousers and brought out a giant slab of dried kudu haunch.
2 Architecture The side of an arch, between the crown and the pier.
- Lighting also differs between the spaces, from diffused light in the narrow galleries to reflected light onto the concrete haunches of the wider galleries.
- The girder trusses running in the north-south direction were designed as continuous trusses and had haunch ends at the column lines.
- A strengthening concrete haunch / slab was then cast over the arches before a textile and thick PVC-type waterproofing membrane was laid on the concrete bed.
on one's haunches
- With the haunches resting on the backs of the heels: Billy squatted down on his haunchesMore example sentences
- On her knees, resting on her haunches on the bed, in imitation of his pose, she tilts her head and looks at him quizzically.
- I rested on my haunches until the dust dissipated but then leaned forward again.
- He stopped, rested back on his haunches, and slowly checked his room for anything he may have over looked.
Definition of haunch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan