noun(the haute bourgeoisie) [treated as singular or plural]
- The upper middle class.More example sentences
- Today, Occultists are routinely disparaged by the superior classes, the haute bourgeoisie, to which I belong, and which also includes most of the widely read art critics and influential art historians.
- These forms of unearned income linked to exploitation led to the emergence of the haute bourgeoisie as a new ruling class, which molded the state and church into instruments of domination over the petit bourgeoisie and the working class.
- Not all Dresden was bombed, of course; on the banks of the Elbe there are still the magnificent villas of the haute bourgeoisie.
French, literally 'high bourgeoisie'.
More definitions of haute bourgeoisieDefinition of haute bourgeoisie in:
- The US English dictionary