noun (plural havelis)Indian
- A mansion: kitchens were the centre of an Indian home—whether a haveli or a village hutMore example sentences
- She supported her parents and younger siblings, and built a magnificent haveli in Balpurva, her home village in Farrukhabad district of UP.
- Heavy levies were placed on traders passing through, and local merchants ploughed the money into the economy, building beautiful havelis, or mansions, and temples carved from local sandstone.
- We stepped into the immediate past through the curious Pucca Ghat: an elaborate landing stage on the river, built like an ostentatious mansion, a haveli.
via Hindi from Arabic havelī.
More definitions of haveliDefinition of haveli in:
- The US English dictionary