Definition of havoc in English:
1Widespread destruction: the hurricane ripped through Florida causing havoc
More example sentences
- Marcellus was struck down sick and incapacitated when a galactic storm struck the outer planets, creating destruction and havoc.
- A tornado is a funnel-shaped cloud that descends on land, creating havoc and destruction in its wake.
- With that, the fight broke loose, along with pure havoc and destruction.
1.1Great confusion or disorder: if they weren’t at school they’d be wreaking havoc in the streets
More example sentences
- Many people fear that if children weren't at school they be wreaking havoc in the streets all day.
- Sutton's police chief has pledged to make the borough the safest in London by waging war on career criminals and drug traders wreaking havoc in our communities.
- One easy-going and tolerant who could not understand fellow travellers who complained about her children wreaking havoc on a long train journey.
verb (havocs, havocking, havocked)[with object] archaic Back to top
play havoc with
- Completely disrupt: shift work plays havoc with the body clockMore example sentences
obstruct, impede, hamper;hold up, delay, retard, slow (down);throw into confusion, throw into disorder, throw into disarray, cause confusion/turmoil in, derange, turn upside-down, make a mess of;ruin, wreck, spoil, undo, mar, frustrate, blight, crush, quell, quash, dash, scotch, shatter, devastate, demolish, sabotageinformal mess up, screw up, louse up, foul up, make a hash of, do in, put paid to, put the lid on, put the kibosh on, stymie, queer, nix, banjax, blow a hole inBritish informal scupper, dish, throw a spanner in the works ofNorth American informal throw a monkey wrench in the works ofAustralian informal euchre, cruel
- Frequently stopping to rest plays havoc with your body's temperature - and leaves you drenched in sweat.
- Also, try not to skip meals - it plays havoc with your blood sugar levels, your emotions and your metabolism.
- Manual labour obviously plays havoc with your digestive system.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan