- A large Old World finch with a massive bill for cracking open cherry stones and other hard seeds.
More example sentences
- Genus Coccothraustes, family Fringillidae: three species, in particular the widespread C. coccothraustes
- Whenever I have been fortunate to watch a party of Breckland hawfinches they were very wary, taking flight at the first alarm and rocketing into the treetops.
- Where I see Hawfinches they become more visible from early afternoon in the tops of trees - often Beech or Hornbeam. Listen out for the loud ticking call.
- Woodland species such as Hawfinch and Crossbill are much easier to locate in the foliage-less trees.
More definitions of hawfinchDefinition of hawfinch in:
- The US English dictionary