A large swift-flying moth with a stout body and narrow forewings, typically feeding on nectar while hovering.
- Family Sphingidae: several genera and many species
More example sentences
- Most hawkmoths feed while hovering in front of flowers and use visual cues to control hovering flight.
- Colour vision in humans and honeybees is restricted to brighter light intensities than those accessible to nocturnal hawkmoths.
- Under limited light, similar to that of late dusk, Kelber and her colleagues trained sixteen hawkmoths to find the sugar solution placed in the centers of artificial flowers.
Definition of hawkmoth in:
- The US English dictionary