noun (plural hazzanim)
- another term for cantor ( sense 1).More example sentences
- I really thought nothing of it. [When I was in the army] I spent most weekends at home, and went to services at the local synagogue where I would join the hazzan for lunch and spend the afternoon with his family studying the Bible.
- At the present time, 20 hazzanim per year are graduated from the major training institutions combined.
- The second CD contains performances of cantorial music and Yiddish songs by hazzanim who were active in Amsterdam.
mid 17th century: from Hebrew ḥazzān 'cantor', possibly from Assyrian hazannu 'mayor, headman'.
More definitions of hazzanDefinition of hazzan in:
- The US English dictionary