Definition of headhunt in English:
1 (as noun headhunting) The practice among some peoples of collecting the heads of dead enemies as trophies.
- They are also notorious for their traditional practices of headhunting and cannibalism.
- However, after the arrival of the Europeans, Iatmuls who practiced cannibalism and headhunting were labeled as murderers.
- Although these accounts suggest that Gogodala actively agreed to cease warfare and headhunting, this does not diminish the significance of these activities for the Gogodala at that time.
2Identify and approach (a suitable person employed elsewhere) to fill a business position: successful managers are headhunted from larger companies
More example sentences
- Successful graduates are all now in full-time employment, some with their sponsor companies, while many were also headhunted into more lucrative positions.
- Between 1997 and 2001, at least a dozen professorial level scholars of Asia were headhunted for strategic jobs elsewhere.
- Schools are also being encouraged to link up with one or another corporation, teaching a suitably modified curriculum and giving the sponsoring businesses a chance to headhunt the more gifted pupils.
- Example sentences
- Such headhunters are finding more than 40% of non-executive directors for companies, meaning the traditional old boys' network is coming under pressure.
- The long-list of candidates who are agreed for the first round will be interviewed by the headhunters, and on the basis of those interviews we put forward a shortlist of candidates for consideration by the trustees.
- It is satisfying to see that the Executive appears to have taken the hint on the appointment, though it still went through the process of hiring headhunters, no doubt because it is duty-bound to do so.
Words that rhyme with headhuntexeunt • manhunt
Definition of headhunt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan