A woman who is the head teacher in a school.
More example sentences
- She sounded like a school teacher - a headmistress - telling a child to stay behind, prepare for a detention.
- The first headmistress of Altrincham Grammar School for Girls was once a tutor to royal children and the school is to be given priceless sketches of the Queen Mother and the Prince of Wales by Salford artist Harold Riley to mark the occasion.
- His father is a captain in the British Guards and his mother is the headmistress of a prep school in England.
- More example sentences
- To our children and grandchildren, ultra-conservative ‘old lady’ style may have the attraction of novelty, and none of the claustrophobic headmistressy associations we've pinned to it since we were young.
- It is not only the medicinal aspect of food that is dished out with headmistressy insistence at the Imperial Herbal.
- Elinor has her priggish and headmistressy moments in the novel but at that point I am on her side.
Definition of headmistress in:
- The US English dictionary