Definition of headnote in English:
1A note inserted at the head of an article or document, summarizing or commenting on the content.
- Forrest-Thomson's ‘Cordelia’ mentions him by name; Tuma's headnotes or footnotes note Prynne's influence on perhaps a dozen others.
- Since I had had my own doubts over ‘London’ I swallowed my scorn and sent off my preliminary selection: ten from Innocence, six from Experience, and three others, with headnotes and annotations on words not every kid might know.
- This anthology of documents, along with extensive headnotes, has an ambitious purpose - indeed, more than one.
1.1 Law A summary of a decided case prefixed to the case report, setting out the principles behind the decision and an outline of the facts.
- I will not quote them verbatim, because they appear to me to be admirably and correctly encapsulated in paragraph 2 of the headnote to the report, which I do quote.
- The majority decision on the question of the scope of the brokers duty is, I think, well summarised in the headnote to the report.
- It is sufficient to quote the summary of the decision which is given in the headnote in these terms.
Definition of headnote in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan